One of my favorite verses in the Bible is Isaiah 43: 10-11. It reads:
“You are my witnesses” declares the Lord, “and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed , nor will there be one after me. I, even I, am the Lord, and apart from me there is no savior.”
This scripture helped me when I was struggling with my belief in Mormonism. Reading and pondering upon it pretty much solidified for me that Mormonism is false. Let me explain why.
In these verses “The Lord” is actually the modern translation for YHWH or Yahweh. The Israelites were told by God that this was His name. In fact, the Israelites considered this name so sacred that they refused to speak it out loud.
In modern English Yahweh has been translated as Jehovah. When Mormons go to the temple they learn that God the Father’s name is Elohim and Jesus’ name is Jehovah/Yahweh. So, why is this a big deal? Well, this teaching CONTRADICTS Isaiah 43: 10 -11. Let’s look at these verses again…
Verse 10: “Before me no god was formed , nor will there be one after me.”
This verse tells us 3 important things about God.
1) That God is the one speaking
2) There are no Gods before Him
3) There will be no Gods after Him
So, the next logical question might be, “Who is this God?” Verse 11 answers that question…
“I, even I am YAHWEH , and apart from me there is no savior.”
Here we learn two more things about this God.
1) His name is Yahweh/Jehovah.
2) He is our Savior.
This knowledge creates a few problems for Mormons.
1) Contrary to verse 11 Mormonism teaches that God the Father’s name is Elohim not Yahweh.
2) Contrary to verse 10 Mormonism teaches that Yahweh is NOT the only God. He is actually the spirit born son of another God, Elohim.
3) In Mormonism since Yahweh is a spiritually born God there was a God prior to Him… Elohim. This violates verse 10.
4) Contrary to verse 10 Mormonism teaches that there will be God’s after Yahweh. Mormonism teaches that men can progress to godhood.
5) Verse 11 teaches us that our God, Yahweh/Jehovah, is also our Savior. Under Mormonism, Elohim is God the Father but Yahweh/Jehovah, his spirit born son, a separate God, is our Savior. BIG DIFFERENCE!!
These points show that the Mormon teaching on the nature of God does not match the teachings of the Bible. Mormonism teaches “another Jesus” and is “another gospel” (2 Corinthians 11:4, Galations 1:6-9). It has been so liberating for me to learn that my God is Yahweh, Jesus Christ, and that He is the One and Only true God!! He is my Savior and I will praise Him forever.